Environmental protection is best achieved by early environmental precaution. The work of the EIA Association is therefore based on this principle. The association promotes environmental precaution and all necessary planning and management instruments, especially EIA.
The EIA Association is your contact for all questions concerning precautionary environmental protection. The focus of activities is on environmental assessments of projects, plans, programmes, policies and products as an integrative method of landscape and environmental planning.
EIA means that all relevant effects on the environment of plans, projects and productions are identified, described and evaluated at an early stage in a systematic and transparent process. The results of EIA are to be appropriately taken into account when making decisions.
The "Verein zur Förderung der Umweltverträglichkeitsprüfung (UVP) e.V." was founded on 5 May 1987 as professional association for those who take active part in EIA. In 1997, on the occasion of the 10th anniversary, it was renamed "UVP-Gesellschaft e.V. (Gesellschaft für die Prüfung der Umweltverträglichkeit)".
In particular, the EIA Association aims at
- information, consultancy and exchange of experiences
- promotion, exchange, coordination and combination of activities
- proposing and organising events
- launching, developing and supporting research projects
- exerting influence on legislation and administration in order to support the efforts on effective environmental precaution
- promotion, archiving and documentation of publications
- development and quality assurance of professional qualifications in connection with environmental precaution and its instruments, for example to carry out and monitor environmental assessments